Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Perfectionist Boss

I decided to write this because I'm not happy with my job. I just graduated college and have yet to find a real "post-college" job. I work for a company where I do various clerical work... nothing too complicated. In fact, it's downright boring.

Sometimes my job is ok. The people are alright... some of them. And usually my boss is ok. Not today. She freaked out because I accidentally paid the property taxes of two individuals who were paid off. This had happened last year too and I don't remember her getting so mad... but that is besides that point. Apparentily, it is extremely disapointing for me to have waited a day to tell her... because apparentily I'm trying to take all the company's money by paying property taxes I don't need to on the VISA! WHAT THE HELL. I sent an email to the revenue commissioner asking how to reverse the transaction. I figured they would either say they couldn't or explain the process... and if they couldn't, we'd get the money from the borrowers like we had done in the past. Obviously that was the wrong move. I should have never wrote that email and instead told her directly. EXCUSE ME for trying to save you the trouble of finding a solution to the issue! I guess I forgot I was just a stupid intern who knows nothing about the business world! She seriously made me feel like an idiot. She was like "Ashley, I'm so disapointed blah blah blah you should have told me, this is MONEY we are talking about blah blah blah You can't do things that like in the real world blah blah blah..."

I wanted to quit right then and there. I thought about it. Sometimes I'd rather pay them 7.70/hour to not come into work! She NEVER gives me positive reinforcement but points out every single little error... and then explains things like I'm a moron! I know more about the business world than she does, I actually HAVE a business degree. It's not like I meant to pay the wrong taxes, it was on my spreadsheet wrong! She's just lucky I caught it! But noooo... can't make an innocent mistake. Can't try to fix anything myself. Because apparentily, I'm incompetent.

I think I've gotten to the point where I don't like being talked down to. Or rather, to the point where I'm not going to take it. I want to be the boss, not the other way around. And I HATE it when people doubt my intelligence just because I'm young. When I make a mistake, it's not usually because I'm an idiot, it's because of poor recordkeeping or poor directions. When you hand me 20 things at once to do without detailed directions... well, your asking for a few mistakes. I have a good memory but I can't read your handwriting.

It's crazy. Because sometimes she is so nice and whatever then one minute, BAM, insensitive and rude boss. I know the kind of manager I'm going to be one day... and it will not be like her. I don't live to work, I work to live. The way it SHOULD be.

As soon as I find a new job, I'm GONE. If she pulls a stunt like that again, she can kiss a two weeks notice goodbye. Find someone else to do my job, you should already be looking!!! I try my best at work and I shouldn't be getting berated for a simple mistake. She acted like I had stolen the credit card and gone shopping for heavens sake.

For all you managers out there, learn PEOPLE SKILLs. Employees don't want to work for bosses who never give them credit. I worked harder at my old job when my bosses gave me positive reinforcement. I don't really care at my job right now... I don't go "above and beyond", I just go to the point of "ok"... because I don't get any credit for working harder.

Yeah, my day sucked. :(

I know it's kind of risky putting this on a public blog but I doubt she'd ever find it. If she did, it'd be because someone showed it to her. And well, I'm at the point where getting fired wouldn't be a disapointment so who cares.

No comments: